HAPPY TUESDAY Everyone!!!!!
is back with another Nutrition Talk Tuesday; the topic for the day is Food Labeling. Now, grocery shopping is hard enough between parking, dealing with people and lists. With all of those things one wants to make sure they’re getting quality food. Today I’m going to break down the ever confusing FOOD LABELING. 100% Organic? Organic? Made with organic? Natural? Each of these labels means something different, even more confusing, they mean something different for each food group! Let’s get to it!
100% Organic: all ingredients must be organic; this label will appear on most raw or single ingredient products. Organic can be used on products that contains a minimum of 95% organic ingredients. The other 5% nonorganic. In addition, organic can be used on products that are made with at least 70% organic ingredients; they must be identified on label with mark or asterisk. Non- GMO food tested against a threshold of less than 0.9% GMO. Conventional foods grown with chemicals or pesticides. Natural foods that are ASSUMED to be minimally processed or that do not contain additives, sweeteners or hormones. This term is not regulated by the USDA and can be used by food manufactures loosely.
WHAT ORGANIC MEANS FOR EACH FOOD GROUP?
Nuts, Grains, Fruits & Veggies: land has been fertilizer free for 3 years, no irradiation or radiation to kill bacteria, no genetically modifying crops. Meat & Poultry: animals must have access to outdoors, meat cannot be treated with radiation, animals can’t have antibiotics or growth hormones, they eat 100% organic no animal by product. Seafood is not regulated; use the Sea Watch app. Eggs: hens are fed 100% organic no animal by product, egg laying hens cannot have antibiotics. Milk: cows must have access to outdoors, even if it isn’t used, cows eat 100% for at least 1 year, no antibiotics or growth hormones.
CODES FOR FRUITS & VEGGIES
When checking produce labels, the stick carries a 5 or 4 digit code that indicates how it was grown:
– Organic: 5 digit code starting with a 9
– Conventional: 4 digit code starting with a 4
– GMO: 5 digit code starting with a 8